The only firm in Niagara with a designated Municipal Law specialist.
The Municipal and Land-use Planning Law Group is the only group in Niagara that includes a specialist designated by the Law Society in Municipal Law (Local Government, Land Use Planning and Development). A lawyer recognized as a Certified Specialist has met established standards of experience and knowledge requirements and has maintained exemplary standards of professional practice.
The Group assists clients with obtaining necessary approvals, navigating complex rules and regulations, and maximizing the use of their property. They advise municipal and private sector clients throughout the land use planning process from the initial concept, through municipal/regional approvals and at hearings before municipal/regional councils, tribunals and all levels of the courts.
Our lawyers routinely appear before municipal/regional councils, the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal (formerly Ontario Municipal Board), the Niagara Escarpment Commission, the Environmental Review Board, the Assessment Review Board, as well as all levels of courts in Ontario.
We provide experienced legal advice to our regular municipal clients and are regularly retained by other municipalities on a case-by-case basis. Our clients also include landowners, developers, public interest groups and financial institutions.
OUR EXPERTISE INCLUDES:
- Zoning and official plan amendments
- Consents, severances and minor variances
- Site plans and site approval
- Plans of subdivision and subdivision agreements
- Brownfield, community improvement and infill projects
- Heritage projects
- Environmental and landfill approvals
- Regulatory and provincial offence proceedings
- Interim control bylaws and appeals
- Development charges
- Ontario Building/Fire Code appeals
- Municipal conflicts of interest