Sara’s practice focuses on municipal, municipal land use and environmental matters. Sara appears regularly before municipal councils, committee of councils, the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal, Superior Court and Provincial Offences Court.
Sara’s experience in Provincial Offences Court as a prosecutor and as a defence counsel is extensive. She has acted for numerous municipalities with respect to Building Code, Fire Code and by-law matters. In addition, she has significant experience with respect to the defence of environmental and occupational health and safety offences, both on behalf of municipalities and private clients. She has been involved in numerous Coroner’s inquests representing the interests of major public agencies.
Sara’s expertise includes municipal licencing matters, including drafting by-laws, conducting licencing suspension or revocation hearings, and licencing prosecutions. Sara has also dealt extensively with Freedom of Information issues as they relate to both municipal and police records.
Sara was a part-time instructor of Environmental Law at Niagara College for five years. She taught a post-graduate program that specialized in the environmental assessment process with an emphasis on the provisions of the Environmental Protection Act and the Ontario Water Resources Act.
Sara was a federal prosecutor for the Attorney General of Canada for six years in the late 1990’s.
- Admitted to Ontario Bar – 1994
- LL.B, University of Ottawa Law School – 1992
- B.Comm, Carleton University in Ottawa with a portion of the degree completed at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst – 1988
- Former part-time instructor of Environmental Law at Niagara College
- Guest Lecturer before the Municipal Law Enforcement Officers Association (by-law enforcement)
- Member – Law Society of Ontario
- Member – Lincoln County Law Association
- Member – Canadian Bar Association – Environmental Law Section